DIY Ice cream cone toys
At the moment I spend a lot of time at home with my daughter. She doesn't like to draw (for those who know me; yes I am horrified she doesn't like to draw!), but she does love doing other crafts. So I try to come up with different ideas for crafts we can do together. Some of them are just those easy ones for her to do where the end result is her own art. And sometimes we do these more thought out crafts that she can actually play with when they are done. The ice cream cones you see in the pictures above were one of the latter ones. I steered the doing but she could do her part so it was fun for her as well. These ice cream cones are actually really easy to do so anyone can make them with their kids - no crafting experience needed! Here's how you can make these fun ice cream cone toys with your child:
DIY ICE CREAM CONE TOYS
YOU WILL NEED:
- Any light weight balls
- Acrylic paint & paint brushes
- Long toothpicks
- Paper glue (and super glue if you want to be pro)
- Cone coloured A4 paper
- Different coloured washi tapes
WHAT TO DO:
- Choose the colours to paint the ice cream balls with. Stick a toothpick into the balls. Hold on to the toothpick while you paint. This way you can easily paint the balls in one go without leaving marks from your fingers. Leave the balls to dry. The painting part is easy for the kids to do themselves!
- Grab a cone coloured A4 paper. Put paper glue on the whole other side of one A4 and fold it in half so that the glue sides stick together. This way we can make a stronger paper. If you are using harder cardboard paper, then skip this part. The glue part is again fun for the kids to do!
- Roll the folded and glued paper into a cone shape starting from one corner of the folded paper and keeping that corner tight (check that your ice cream ball fits in the upper part). Use paper glue to make it stick. If you want, you can use super glue to seal the last end to really stick good. Make as many cones as you have ice cream balls.
- When the balls have dried, place them on the cones.
- If you want, you can make sprinkles by cutting little pieces of washi tape and placing them on the balls. Placing the washi tape sprinkles is a nice activity for the little ones!
- You're done! You can start to play ice cream games! I want strawberry ice cream with sprinkles!